Sunday, October 23, 2011

Meet the designer: Richard Mewha

New York-based Bevel fills the spectacle world’s niche for colourful eyewear that maintains clean lines and minimalist styling. The company’s co-founder Richard Mewha is committed to making eyewear “as essential to personal style and self-esteem as apparel or cosmetics.” 

The eternal traveller, Richard ensures success in his designs by keeping up with the global cultural zeitgeist. With names like 'Fist Pump' and 'My Space', unconventional shapes and never-before seen colour pathways, the Bevel range is avant-garde eyewear with a unifying sense of classic charm.


Richard Mewha

What (or who) inspires you?
I am inspired by my whole environment every day. In terms of design, my main inspiration is my own aesthetic. I love color, clean lines, modern and antique furniture. Art - Ai Wei Wei. Music - Radiohead, Dead Can Dance and The National. Books - historical fiction, lately.

What three words sum up your design ethos?
Color, minimal, quality.

Best piece of fashion advice?
Listen to someone with taste.

Favourite frame from your range and why?
8623 Shark Biscuit. It is funky but not overpowering, cool without trying too hard.

What is your pet peeve?
People who think they don't need to learn/explore/travel/push themselves.

What would be your perfect day off?
An early round of golf/ scuba dive. Day with my wife and 3 daughters. Dinner with my wife next to the ocean.