Thursday, October 24, 2013

10 Questions with Claire Goldsmith

Eyewear Designer Claire Goldsmith recently gave an interview with Eyewear Magazine, below are the 10 questions that give us a sneak peek into her busy life as business owner, entrepeneur and mother.

To kick things off, what is your life philosophy?
If at first you don’t succeed, try try again…. (and have a cup of tea)
I love your sunglasses! Which brands do you prefer? Who has inspired you? 
I love the Aussie brand ISSON, Catherine is fearless in her designs and use of colour, FINEST SEVEN for their integrity, design and innovation, and I am genuinely inspired by all the new brands that keep popping up.  Stepping into an industry that is already so saturated must be hard, yet they seem to find their own path and I think that’s great.
Who is one celebrity you would like to see with Claire Goldsmith glasses?
I have a (not so secret) crush on Robbie Williams! Always have J – he has worn Oliver Goldsmith sunglasses many times, but I’d love to see him in a pair of CG’s.  Idris Elba recently wore CG Surtees in GQ, which was pretty cool!
Out of all the glasses you created, which one is your favourite piece?
I often get asked this, and it’s so difficult to choose! I think probably the CARTERS, it’s been a super successful staple in the collection, and myself, my husband and many friends wear it – so when i see it, it reminds me of them.
What is the typical workday at Claire Goldsmith like?
Non-stop!! No day is the same.  I have two children, two brands (OG & CG) and two businesses (our retail store and the wholesale business) to manage, so it’s full on.  A typical day simply means me juggling all these things!
What is the best thing about your job? 
That I work for myself and don’t have to answer to anybody else (except the bank maybe! J) Also, that i get to continue the legacy that my great-grandfather started all those years ago.
What do you do on your off-days?
Be a mother and a wife.
Tell us your bad habit?
Definitely being on my phone too much, having a iPhone for business is of course invaluable, but I struggle with knowing when to put it down – if an email comes through I just have to read it!
Who is the most important person in your life?
Don’t make me choose! My husband, children and mum!
What´s your next move? Anything you´re working on?
Well we have just taken our whole European distribution back in house, so we are excited to be building the relationships with all our accounts directly. Focus for the future is definitely to expand and develop the Claire Goldsmith brand, with some exciting collaborations in the mix for 2014.